Dianna Mae Y. Alfante,
Shaina Jane A. Dulfo
Pharmacy Department/School of Health Care Professions - University of San Carlos
Cogon (Imperata cylindrical L.), a perennial and rhizomatous grass that is known for its invasive nature, has multiple uses both commercially and medicinally. However, there are no concrete studies on the safety of Cogon when consumed. In this study, the toxicity and genotoxic activity of Imperata cylindrica was examined and tested. Extraction was done through decoction and maceration with 95 percent ethanol. Four concentrations were prepared for both extracts dissolves in distilled water and seawater separately. Toxicity determination .....
1. Cribb, A.B , Cribb, W.J . Wild Food in Australia Fontana, 1976.
2. Gililand, H.B. . A Revised Flora of Malaya Singapore: Government Printing Office, (3)
3. Holm, L.J , Plucknett, D.L , Herberger, J.P . The World’s worst weeds: Distribution and Biology University Press of Hawaii: East-west Center, 1977.
4. Kunkel, C.P . Indian Medicinal Plants: An Illustrated Dictionary New Delhi, India: Springer Science & Business Media, 2008.
5. Kunkel, G . Plant for Human Consumption Koeltz Scientific Books, 1984.
6. Low, T . Wild Food Plants of Australia Angus and Robertson., 1989.
7. Yueng, H.C., H.C. . Handbook of Chinese Herbs and Formulas Los Angeles: Institute of Chinese Medicine, 1985.
14. Sellers, B.A., [et. al] . (). Cogon grass (Imperata cyindrica) Biology, Ecology, and Management in Florida Grazing land. . Retrieved from: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/wg202
16. Suzuki,, M., [et. al] . The potent allelopathic substances of cogon grass rhizomes extracts. Weed Science for Sustainable Agriculture Environment and Biodiversity Asia-Pacific Weed Science Society, 2015.
19. Al-Joubori,, Maysaa A., [et. al] . "Evaluation of Chromosome Aberrations and Mitotic Index in Alloxan-Induced Diabetic Male Rats Treated with the Mixture of Plants Extracts Mixture." Journal of Babylon University/Pure and Applied Sciences
22(5): 2014. Retrieved from: http://www.iasj.net/iasj?func=fulltext&aId=88502
21. Amin,, A.W. . "Cytotoxicity testing of sewage water treatment using Allium cepa chromosome aberration assay" Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences 5, pp 184-188,
22. Asaduzzman,, Md., [et. al] . "Cytotoxic (Brine Shrimp Lethality Bioassay) and Antioxidant Investigation of Barringtonia acutangula (l.)" International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research
6(8): 1179-1185, 2015. Retrieved from: http://doaj.org/article/b4ldfc52b64744df8eed4157d26a15ac
24. Brook, R.M. . "Review of literature on Imperata cylindrica (L.) Raeuschel with particular reference to South East Aisa" Trop. Pest Manage 35, 12-25, 1989
25. R., Carter . "Cogongrass, Imperata cylindrical, in the United States" Weed Tech 7, 1005-1009, 1993
27. Dashora, K. . "Grasses: An Underestimated medicinal Repository" Journal of Medicinal Plants Studies , 151-157, 2013
29. M.E., [et. al], . "Plants tannins inhibit the induction of aberrant crypt foci and colonic tumors by 1,2-dimenthylhydrazine in mice" Nutrition and Cancer 39(1): 108-116, 2001
30. Eussen, J.H.H. . "Problems and control of “alang-alang’ (Imperata cylindrical (L.) Beauv.) in Indonesia" Proc.od 5th Ann. Conf. of Asian-Pacific Weed Sci. Soc 5, pp. 58-64., 1979
31. Eussen, J.H.H . "Some competition experiments with alang-alang (Imperata cylindrical (L.) Beauv.) in replacement series" Oecology 40, pp. 351-35, 1975
32. Feretti, D., [et. al] . "Allium cepa chromosome aberration and micronucleus tests applied to study genotoxicity of extracts from pesticide-treated vegetables and grapes" Food Addit. Contam. 24(6): pp 561-572, 2007
33. Fiskejo, G. . "The Allium test as a standard in the environment monitoring" Hereditas 102, P. 99-112, 1985
34. G.L., L., [et. al] . "Cytotocix and Genotoxic Studies on the Mucus of Indian Volute Melo broderipii (Gmelin 1758) and Spider Conch Lambis Lambis (Linn 1758" Journal of Pharmacognosy Nat Prod. , 2016
35. Grant, W.F. . "Chromosome aberration assay in Allium. A report of U.S. environmental Protection Agency Gene-Tox Program." Mutation Research 99, pp. 273-29, 1982
36. Grant, W.F. . "The present status of higher plant bioassay for the detection of environmental mutagens" Mutation Research 310, pp. 175-18, 1994
37. Grant, W.F . "Higher plant assays for the detection of chromosomal aberration and gene mutations – a brief historical background on their use for screening and monitoring environmental chemicals" Mutation Research 426, pp. 107-11, 1999
39. Hussain, F., [et. al] . "Imperata cylindrical (L.) P. beauv affects germination, early growth, and cell division and development in some crop species" Pak.J.Sci.Ind.Res 37, pp 100-103, 1994
40. Inderjit [et. al], . "Investigations on some aspects of chemical ecology of cogongrass, Imperata cylindrical (l.) Beauv" Journal of Chemical Ecology 17, pp. 343-35, 1991
41. Keshava, R., [et. al] . "Anti-cancer Effects of Imperata cylindrical Leaf extract on Human Oral Squamos Carcinoma cell line SCC in Vitro" Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention 17, pp. 1891-1, 2016
43. Koger, C.H. [et. al] . "Effects of cogongrass (imperata cylindrica) residues on Bermudagrass (Cynodon dactylon) and Italian ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum)" South. Weed Sci.Soc. (56): 341, 2003
44. Kuete, V., [et. al] . "Cytotoxicity of some Cameroonian spices and selected medicinal plant extracts" Journal of Ethnopharmacology 134(30): pp. 803-81, 2011
45. MacDonald, G. E. . "Cogongrass (Imperata cylindrical)- Biology, ecology, and management" Critt Rev. Plant Sceience 23, pp.367-380, 2004
46. Matsunaga, K., [et. al] . "Graminone B, A novel lignin with vasodilative Activity from Imperata cylindrical" Journal Nat. Prod 57(12): pp 1734-17, 1994
47. Meyer, B.N., [et. al] . "Brine Shrimp: A convenient general bioassay for active plant constinuents" Planta Medica 45, pp. 31-34, 1982
48. Michael, A.S., [et. al] . "Artemia salina as a testoganism for bioassay" Science 123, 464, 1956
49. Mohamed, G., [et. al] . "Chemical Composition and Hepato-protective activity of Imperata cylindrical Beauv" Pharmacognosy Magazine , pp. 28-36, 2009
50. Parvathy, N.G., [et. al] . "Phytochemical Screening and Anthelmintic Activity of Methanolic Extract of Imperata cylindrical" International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceautical Sciences 4, 2012
52. Rank, J., [et. al] . "Allium cepa anaphase-telophase root tip chromosome aberration assay on N-methyl-N-nitrosurea, maleic hydrazide, sodium azide, and ethyl methansulfonate" Mutation Research 390, pp. 121-12, 1997
53. Rank, J., [et. al] . "Allium Anaphase-Telophase Genotoxicity Assay" Department of Environment, Technology and Social Studies, , 1997
54. Resi, A.T. . "Larvacidal Effect of Imperata Cylindrical Root Decoction against Culex" Althea Medical Journal , pp. 70-74, 2014
55. Rong-hua, L., [et al] . "Phenolic Compounds from Roots of Imperata cylindrical var. major" Chinese Herbal Medicines , pp. 240-24, 2013
56. Rosa, LS., [et. al] . "Anticancer Properties of Phenolic Acids in Colon Cancer – A Review" Journal of Nutrition and Food Science
6, pp. 468, 2016. Retrieved from: http://doi:10.4172/2155-9600.1000468
57. Sajise, P.E., [et. al] . "Allelopathy in a mixture of Cogon (Imperata cylindrical) and Stylosanthes guyanensis" Kalikasan: The Philippine Journal of Biology 4(2): pp. 155-16, 1975
58. Sleet, R.B., [et. al] . "Improved methods for harvesting and counting synchronous population of Artemia nauplii for use in development toxicology" Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 7, pp. 435-44, 1983
61. Tedesco, S.B., [et. al] . "Bioindicator Of Genotoxicity: The Allium cepa Test" Environmental Contamination Dr. Jatin Srivastava (Ed), InTech , 2012
62. Tan, D.X., [et. al] . "Chemical interaction in the Invasiveness of Cogongrass (Imperata cylindrical (L.) Beauv.)" Journal of Agricultural 57(20): pp. 9448-9, 2009
64. Yildirim, I., [et. al] . "Anticancer Agents: Saponin and Tannin" Internantional Journal of Biological Chemistry 9, pp. 332-34, 2015
65. Gallego, F.M.V., [et. al] . Genototoxicity Study of Dapdap (Erytheina indica Lam, 1754) crude leaf extract using Allium cepa Chromosomal Abberation Assay. University of San Carlos.. 2016. (BS)