Pharmacy Department/School of Health Care Professions - University of San Carlos
Angiogenesis is the growth of blood vessels from the existing vasculature. Insufficient angiogenesis occurs when tissues do not produce adequate amounts of angiogenic growth factors, leading to diseases such as coronary artery disease, stroke, and chronic wound, while excessive angiogenesis occurs when diseased cells and tissue produce abnormal amounts of angiogenic growth factors, overwhelming the effects of natural angiogenesis inhibitors, leading to diseases such as cancer, diabetic blindness, age-related macular degeneration, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, and more than 70 other conditions. Angiogenesis assays are used to test efficacy of both pro- and anti-angiogenic agents. In vivo chorioallantoic membrane (CAM) assay, one of the angiogenesis assays, was used to determine the angiogenic activity of Sabah Snake Grass (Clinacanthus nutans). The number of blood vessels formed was the parameter of the study. The number of blood vessels formed within the area of impregnation for test solution 1 (0.5 mcg), test solution 2 (1mcg), test solution 3 (1.5 mcg), untreated group, and negative group are 5.33, 3.44, 1.78, 12, and 13, respectively. Their percent angiogenic activity is 55.41%, 71.36%, 84.92%, 0%, and -15.15%, respectively. For further analysis of data, one-way analysis of variance was done. The p-value in calculating the percent angiogenic activity displayed a significant difference of 1.32201 among all treatments. The Tukey HSD Test showed an insignificant difference between the negative control and untreated groups, indicating little no difference in activity of the test groups compared. Furthermore, all other comparison among groups showed a significant difference despite their minimal concentrations and close range. This indicates that there is potent anti angiogenic activity. Based from the data collected, the ethanolic leaf extract of Clinacanthus nutans exhibited an amount dependent anti-angiogenic activity on Chorioallantoic Membrane Assay an IC50 of 0.6963 mcg.
1. Adebiyia, Olamide E, Olayemid, Funsho O., Tan, Ning-Huaam , Zeng, Guang-Zhia . "In vitro antioxidant activity, total phenolic and flavonoid contents of ethanol extract of stem and leaf Grewia carpinifolia" Beni-Suef University Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences 6(1): 10-14, 2017
2. Alam, Ariful , Ferdosh, Sahena , Ghafoor, Kashif , Hakim, Abdul , Juraimmi, Abdul Shukor , Khatib, Alfi , Sarker, Zaidul I. . "Clinacanthus nutans: a review of the medicinal uses, pharmacology and phytochemistry" Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine 9(4): 402-409, 2016
3. Arullappan, Sangeetha , Rajamanickam, Prabu , Thevar, Naadeirmuthu , Kodimani, Clara Carol . "In vitro screening of cystotoxic, antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of Clinacanthus nutans (Acanthaceae) leaf extracts" Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research , 1455-1461, 2014
4. Asgarirad, H , Pourmorad, F , Hosseinimehr, S J, Saeidnia, S , Ebrahimzadeh, M A, Lotfi, A . "In vitro antioxidant analysis of Achillea tenuifolia" African Journal of Biotechnology 9(14): 3536-3541, 2010
5. Auerbach, Robert , Lewis, Rachel , Shinners, Brenda , Kubai, Louis , Akhtar, Nasim . "Angiogenesis assays: a critical overview" Clinical Chemistry , 32-40, 2003
6. Baba, Shoib A., Malik, Shahid A.. "Determination of total phenolic and flavonoid content,antimicrobial and antioxidant activity of a root extract of Arisaemajacquemontii Blume" Journal of Taibah University for Science 9(4): 449-454, 2015
7. Batta, Anil . "A review on phytochemicals and their activities" International Journal of Current Research in Medical Sciences 2(1): 20-28, 2016
8. Boller, Christian , Prado, Maria Rosa Machado , de Toledo, Maria da Graça Teixe , Garbelini, Maria Cecilia Da Loz , Ortolani-Machado, Cláudia Feijó , Nakashima, Tomoe , Zibetti, Rosiane Guetter Mell . "The anti-angiogenic effect of Chamomila recutita aqueous extract determined using a modified chicken chorioallantoic membrane ex ovo assay" International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences 4(8): 231-243, 2015
9. Chelyn, June Lee , Maizatul Hasyima , Omar , Youso, Nor Syaidatul Akhmal , Ranggasamy, Ramesh , Wasiman, Mohd Isa , Ismail, Zakiah . "Analysis of flavones C-glycosides in the leaves of Clinacanthus nutans (Burm. f.) Lindau by HPTLC and HPLC-UV/DAD" The Scientific World Journal , 1-6, 2014
10. Cherdchu, C , Poopyruchpong, N , Adchariyasucha, R , Ratanabanangkoon, K . "The absence of antagonism between extracts of Clinacanthus nutans Burm. and Naja naja siamensis venom" Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health 8(2): 249-254, 1977
11. Cimpean, A M, Ribatti, D , Raica, M . "The chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane as a model to study tumor metastasis" Angiogenesis , 311-319, 2008
12. Dampawan, Pimchit , Hunrakul, Charus , Reutrakul, Vichai . "Constituents of Clinacanthus nutans and the crystal structure of lup-20 (29)-ene-3-one" Journal of the Science Society of Thailand , 14-26, 1977
13. Deryugina, Elena I., Quigley, James P.. "Chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane models to quantify angiogenesis induced by inflammatory and tumor cells or purified effector molecules" Methods in Enzymology , 21-41, 2009
14. Dohle, Daniel S, Pasa, Susanne D, Gustmann, Sebastian , Laub, Markus , Wissler, Josef H, Jennissen, Herbert P, Dunker, Nicole . "Chick ex ovo culture and ex ovo CAM assay: how it really works" Journal of Visualized Experiments , 2009
15. Gist, Steve , Tio-Matos, Iris , Falzgraf, Sharon , Cameron, Shirley , Beebe, Michael . "Wound care in the geriatric client" Clinical Interventions in Aging 269-287, 2009
16. Gavalas, Nikos G, Liontos, Michalis , Trachana, Sofia-Paraskevi , Bagratuni, Tina , Arapinis, Calliope , Liacos, Christine , Dimopoulos, Meletios A, Bamias, Aristotle . "International Journal of ovarian cancer" International Journal of Molecular Sciences , 15885-1590, 2013
17. Ghasemzadeh ., A , Nasiri, A , Jaafar, H.Z. E, Baghdadi, A , Ahmad, I . "Changes in phytochemical synthesis, chalcone synthase activity and pharmaceutical qualities of Sabah snakegrass (Clinacanthus nutans L.) in relation to plant age" Molecules , 17632-1764, 2014
18. Hassan, L.E. A, Khadeer Ahamed, Mohamed B, Abdul Majid, Aman S, Baharetha, Hussein M, Muslim, Nahdzatul S, Nassar, Zeyad D, Abdul, Amin MS . "Correlation of antiangiogenic, antioxidant and cytotoxic activities of some Sudanese medicinal plants with phenolic and flavonoid contents" BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 14(1): 1-14, 2014
19. Janwitayanuchit, W , Suwanborirux, K , Patarapanich, C , Pummangura, S , Lipipun, V , Vilaivan, T . "Synthesis and anti-herpes simplex viral activity of monoglycosyl diglycerides" Phytochemistry , 1253-1264, 2003
20. Kerbel, R S. "Inhibition of tumor angiogenesis as a strategy to circumvent acquired resistance to anti-cancer therapeutic agents" BioEssays: News and Reviews In Molecular,Cellular and Developmental Biology , 31-36, 1991
21. Kiriakidism, Serafim , Högemeier, Oliver , Starcke, Susanne , Dombrowski, Frank . "Novel Tempeh (fermented soyabean) isoflavones inhibit in vivo angiogenesis in the chicken chorioalantoic membrane assay" British Journal of Nutrition 93(3): 317-323, 2005
22. Kumar, Shashank , Pandey, Abhay K. "Chemistry and biological activities of flavonoids: an overview" The Scientific World Journal , 1-16, 2013
23. Mahender, Kyadari , Fatma, Tasneem , Azad, Rajvardhan , Velpandian, Thirumurthy . "Evaluation of antiangiogenic and antiproliferative potential of the organic extract of green algae Chorella pyrenoidosa" Indian Journal of Pharmacology 45(6): 569-574, 2013
24. Lee, Jong Suk , Shukla, Shruti , Kim, Jung-Ae , Myunghee, Kim . "Anti-angiogenic effect of Nelumbo nucifera leaf extracts in human umbilical vein endothelial cells with antioxidant potential" PLoS ONE 10(2): 2015
25. Lin, J , Li., H.M. , Yu, J.G. . "Studies on the chemical constituents of niu xu hua (Clinacanthus nutans)" , 337-338, 1983
26. Lokman, Noor A, Elder, Alison S.F. , Ricciardelli, Carmela , Oehler, Martin K. "Chick chorioallantoic membrane (CAM) assay as an in vivo model to study the effect of newly identified molecules on ovarian cancer invasion and metastasis" International Journal of Molecular Sciences 13(8): 9959-9970, 2012
27. Mazzocca, Antonio , Fransvea, Emilia , Lavezzari, Gabriela , Antonaci, Salvatore , Giannelli, Gianluigi . "Inhibition of transforming growth factor β receptor I kinase blocks hepatocellular carcinoma growth through neo-angiogenesis regulation" Hepatology 50(4): 1140-1151, 2009
28. Melkonian, G , Munoz, N , Chung, J , Tong, C , Marr, R , Talbot, P . "Capillary plexus development in the day five to day six chick chorioallantoic membrane is inhibited by cytochalasin D and suramin" The Journal of Experimental Zoology , 241-254, 2002
29. Meyer, J Y, Lavergne, C . "Beautes fatales: Acanthaceae species as invasive alien plants on tropical Indo-Pacific Islands" Divers Distrib , 333-347, 2004
30. Meyer, J Y, Lavergne, C . "Beautes fatales: Acanthaceae species as invasive alien plants on tropical Indo-Pacific Islands" Divers Distrib , 333-347, 2004
31. Moreno-Jimenez, Ines , Hulsart-Billstrom, Gry , Lanham, Stuart A, Janeczek, Agnieszka A, Kontouli, Nasia , Kanczler, Janos M, Evans, Nicholas D, Oreffo, Richard O.C. . "The chorioallantoic membrane (CAM) assay for the study of human bone regeneration:a refinement animal model for tissue engineering" Scientific Reports , 2016
32. Muslim, Nahdzatul Syima , Nassar, Zeyad D, Aisha, Abdalrahim F.A. , Shafaei, Armaghan , Idris, Norshirin , Majid, AminMalikShahAbdul , Ismail, Zhari . "Antiangiogenesis and antioxidant activity of ethanol extracts of Pithecellobium jiringa" BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 12, 2012
33. Mustapa, A N, Martin, A , Mato, R B, Cocero, M J. "Extraction of phytocompounds from the medicinal plant Clinacanthus nutans Lindau by microwave-assisted extraction and supercritical carbon dioxide extraction" Industrial Crops and Products , 83-94, 2015
34. P’ng, Xiu Wen , Akowuah, Gabriel Akyirem , Chin, Jin Han . "Acute oral toxicity study of Clinacanthus nutans in mice" International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research , 4202-4205, 2012
35. Rahman, A.H. M, Mahbubur. , M , Afsana, Wahida , Rafiul Islam, A.K.M. . "Taxonomy and medicinal uses on Acanthaceae family of Rajshahi, Bangladesh" Journal of Applied Science and Research , 82-93, 2014
36. Ray, P , Lewin, S A, Mihalko, L A, Schmidt, B T, Luker, K E, Luker, G D. "Noninvasive imaging reveals inhibition of ovarian cancer by targeting CXCL 12-CXCR4" Neoplasia 13(12): 1152-1161, 2011
37. Raya, Ketran Bunga , Ahmad, Siti Hajar , Farhana, Sanusi Fatin , Mohammad, Munirah , Tajidin, Nor Elliza , Parvez, Anwar . "Changes in phytochemical contents in different parts of Clinacanthus nutans (Burm. f.) lindau due to storage duration" Bragantia 74, 2015
38. Sak, Katrin . "Cytotoxicity of dietary flavonoids on different human cancer types" Pharmacognosy Reviews 8(16): 122-146, 2014
39. Sakdarat, S , Shuyprom, A , Pientong, C , Ekalaksananan, T , Thongchai, S . "Bioactive constituents from the leaves of Clinacanthus nutans Lindau" Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry , 1857-1860, 2010
40. Sakdarat, Santi , Shuyprom, Aussavashai , xAyudhyam, Thaweephol Dechatiw , Waterman, Peter G, Karagianis, Gloria . "Chemical composition investigation of the Clinacanthus nutans Lindau leaves" Thai Journal of Phytopharmacy 13(2): 13-24, 2008
41. Sale, S , Orsulic, S . "Models of ovarian cancer metastasis: Murine models" Drug Discovery Today. Disease Models 3(2): 149-154, 2006
42. Sarega, Nadarajan , Imam, Mustapha Umar , Ooi, Der Jiun , Ismail, Maznah . "Phenolic rich extract from Clinacanthus nutans attenuates hyperlipidemia-associated oxidative stress in rats" Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity , 1-16, 2016
43. Schomann , Timo , Qunneis, Firas , Widera, Darius , Kaltschmidt, Christian , Kaltschmidt, Barbara . "Improved method for ex ovo-cultivation of developing chicken embryos for human stem cell xenografts" Stem Cell International , 2013
44. Shim, Siang Yian , Aziana, Ismail , Khoo, Boon Yin . "Perspective and insight on Clinacanthus nutans Lindauin traditional medicine" International Journal of Integrative Biology 14, 7-9, 2013
45. Sittiso, S , Ekalaksananang, T , Peintong, C , Sakdarat, S , Charoensri, N , Kongyingyoes, B . "Effects of compounds from Clinacanthus nutans on dengue virus type 2 infection" Srinagarind Medical Journal , 272-275, 2010
46. Spilioti, E , Jaakkola, Mari , Tolonen, Tiina , Lipponen, Mahia , Virtanen, Vesa , Chinou, Joana , Kassi, Eva , Karabournioti, Sofia , Moutsatsou, Paraskevi . "Phenolic acid composition, antiatherogenic and anticancer potential of honeys derived from various regions in Greece" PLoS One 9(4): 2014
47. Teoh, Peik Lin , Cheng, Angelina Ying , Liau, Monica , Lem, Fui Fui , Kailing, Grace P, Chua, Fern Nie , Cheong, Bo Eng . "Chemical composition and cytotoxic properties of Clinacanthus nutans root extracts" Pharmaceutical Biology , 390-401, 2017
48. Teshima, K , Kaneko, T , Ohtani, K , Kasai, R , Lhieochaiphant, S , Picheansoonthon, C , Yamasaki, K . "C-glycosyl flavones from Clinacanthus nutans" Nature Medicine , 557-560, 1997
49. Tu, S F, Liu,, R H, Cheng, Y B, Hsu, Y M, Du, Y C, El-Shazly, M . "Chemical constituents and bioactives of Clinacanthus nutans aerial parts" Molecules, 20382-2039, 2014
50. Tufan, A C, Satiroglu-Tufan, N L. "The chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane as a model system for the study of tumor angiogenesis , invasion and development of anti-angiogenic agents" Current Cancer Drug Targets , 249-266, 2005
51. Tuntiwachwuttikul, P , Pootaeng-On, Y , Phansa, P , Taylor, W C. "Cerebrosides and a monoacylmonogalactosylglycerol from Clinacanthus nutans" Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin 52(1): 27-32, 2014
52. Ugochukwu, Solomon Charles , Uchel, Arukwe , Ifeanyi, Onuoha . "Preliminary phytochemical screening of different solvent extracts of stem bark and roots of Dennetia tripetala G.Barker" Asian Journal of Plant Science and Research 3(3): 10-13, 2013
53. Valdes, T I, Kreutzer, D , Moussy, F . "The chick chorioallantoic membrane as a novel in vivo model for the testing of biomaterials" Journal of Biomedical Materials Research 62(2): 273-82, 2002
54. Wanikat, P , Sujayanon, A , Panthong, P , Yoosook, C , Rossi, A G, Reutrakul, V . "The anti-inflammatory effects and the inhibition of neutrophil responsiveness by Barleria lupulina and Clinacanthus nutans extracts" Journal of Ethnopharmacology , 234-244, 2008
55. Yong, Yoke Keong , Tan, Jun Jie , Teh, Soek Sin , Mah, Siau Hui , Cheng Lian Ee, Gwendoline , Siong Chiong, Hoe , Ahmad, Zuraini . "Clinacanthus nutans extracts are antioxidant with antiproliferative effect on cultured cuman cancer cell lines" Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. , 2013
56. Zetter, Bruce R. "Angiogenesis and tumor metastasis" Annual Review of Medicine , 407-424, 1998
57. Adair, T H, Montani, J P. Angiogenesis San Raphael, CA: Morgan & Claypool Life Sciences, 2010.
58. Al-Shammari, Ali . The potential health effects of flavonoids consumed by Americans ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, 2010.
59. Dampawan, P . Studies of the chemical constituents of Clinacanthus nutans (Acanthaceae) and Zingiber cassumunar Roxb Mahidol University, Thailand: 1976.
60. Fong, Siat Yee . Genetic, phytochemical and bioactivity studies of Clinacanthus nutans (Burm. f.) Lindau (Acanthaceae) Melbourne, Victoria: RMIT University, 2015.
61. Jeon, Kwang W. International review of cell and molecular biology. Vol 270 San Diego, California: Academic Press, 2008.
62. National Drug Commit, . List of herbal medicinal products Bangkok: AD Chumnum Sahakorn Karnak set Publisher, 2006. 59-61.
63. Romanoff, A L. The Avian Embryo New York: Macmillan, 1960.
64. Sharma , S K. Plant Toxonomy New Delhi: Pacific Book International, 2011.
66. (2015, November 30). Synthetic Drugs. Drug Free World. . Retrieved from: Drugfreeworld.com
67. Jaime, Koide . (2015, November 30). apanese highschool students hatch chick without and eggshell during class. J. Japan: Rocket News 24.
69. (2010, November 30). Angiogenesis Inhibitors. National Cancer Institute. . Retrieved from: http://www.cancer.gov
70. (2010, November 30). Sabah Snake Grass, Belalai Gajah, Clinacanthus nutans, . Tea Code. . Retrieved from: http://www.tea-code.com
71. (2014, November 30). Angiogenesis. The Angiogenesis Foundation. . Retrieved from: http://www.angio.org
72. (2014, November 30). Sabah Snake Grass: New Elixir of Human Life. Uncle Herbs. . Retrieved from: http://www.uncleherbs.org